Carbon monoxide poisoning is a tragic silent killer. It causes around 50 deaths across the country every year. Every one of them is fully preventable. But it isn’t an issue that hits the headlines much.

Last year, I secured a debate in Parliament on the dangers of carbon monoxide and the steps that can be taken to ensure that households are protected, including installing a carbon monoxide detector alarm in the home.

This led me to think about the safety of people in Barnsley and how I could get the message out locally. With the help of Cadent and Energy UK I managed to secure over 300 carbon monoxide alarms that I was able to offer to households in Barnsley East.

I put out a social media post offering free alarms to anyone who wanted one and I was inundated by requests! I received nearly 400 phone calls and emails from people who wanted to make their homes safer, with many making requests for their family members also.

I approached local businesses asking for sponsorship to cover the costs of packing and postage for the alarms and Cranswick Foods in Wombwell very generously made a donation that covered all costs.

Fortunately, Cadent came to the rescue again and have since provided me with a further 100 alarms. This means that I am now able to fully fulfil my offer and send out alarms to everyone who requested one. I must also thank Walkers Newsagents and Post Office in Hoyland who have had the unenviable task of processing and tracking the postage for every alarm that has been sent!

Awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning is key to protecting you and your family. Carbon monoxide can be omitted from any faulty gas appliance, whether it’s a gas stove, the living room fire or central heating boiler. Carbon monoxide can also build up if flues, chimneys, or vents are blocked. Solid fuels, such as coal, wood, petrol, as well as oil, can also produce carbon monoxide when they burn.

It’s important to know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. These include a tension type headache, tiredness, confusion, and nausea.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning you must seek medical help immediately.


Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search