I recently met Peter from the Hull & Barnsley Stock Fund Group, who are working on preserving the original rolling stock of the Hull, Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway.
They’re looking for more volunteers to help with the project -; carpenters or anyone with an interest who would like to get involved.
Read more about the history of the trains below, and get in touch if you would like to know more!
The Hull & Barnsley Stock Fund Group are currently restoring and preserving the last remaining rolling stock of the Hull, Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway. They are aiming to restore the remaining three coaches and run them on their heritage railways again. Once complete, they also want to bring pleasure to and educate visitors to the last private railway ever built in Britain. The group are looking for volunteers who are skilled woodworkers to help breathe life back into the coaches again.
Opened in 1885, the Hull, Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway was the last substantial completely new railway built in Britain. Intended to break the monopoly of the North Eastern Railway, it was built at a cost of almost £6m to carry coal directly from the Yorkshire pits to the railway’s own dock on the River Humber.
Passenger trains ran from Hull’s Cannon Street station to Cudworth on the Midland Railway mainline to London. From 3 October 1905 until 1917 there was a through express service to Sheffield over the Midland Railway.
Closure came gradually from 1932 when the Cudworth to Howden passenger service ended. South Howden lost its remaining passenger sevice from 1 August 1955. The line between Wrangbrook and Little Weighton was closed on 6 April 1959, and the Little Weighton to Springhead section saw its last goods train on 3 July 1964.
Following the discovery that Coach 58 had survived in Hull, it was bought by the Hull & Barnsley Railway Stock Fund’s founder members in 1968. Two coal wagons were purchased from the Tyne Commissioners in 1968. Coach 40 was located in York the following year. Engineers’ tool van 2 came from Hull in 1974, when it was the oldest vehicle at still work on British Rail. Our rolling stock is now at Goathland on the North York Moors Railway.